Serves 2 (for more servings simple increase quantities accordingly)
- 50g butter
- 3-4 tablespoons flour (use quinoa flour for a gluten free option)
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 190g cheese, grated (put 60g aside for topping)
- 350g asparagus (fresh or canned)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 eggs, hard boiled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg (optional)
- 1 cup bread crumbs (can swap for gluten free bread crumbs)
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (or 356 °F).
- Melt butter on a low heat and slowly add flour, stirring until well mixed and smooth. Cook for about a minute.
- Carefully stir in the milk and keep stirring until it boils and thickens. Add 130g of grated cheese and the mustard. Stir until cheese has melted, then season with pepper, salt and nutmeg.
- Slice eggs and then layer a baking dish with egg slices, asparagus and cheese sauce.
- Top off with bread crumbs and the rest of the grated cheese and bake for about 15 minutes or until cheese has melted and breadcrumbs have browned.