4 large red ripe tomatoes
1 small brown onion, chopped into 1cm peices
1 small cucumber, peeled and deseeded
1 medium red capsicum, deseeded
¼ cup fresh basil
1 large clove garlic, peeled
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
¾ teaspoon sea salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Cut tomatoes into 2cm chunks and put ¼ cup tomato seeds aside to use for garnish later.
- Add half of tomato chunks to blender bowl and half to a serving bowl. Add the onion to blender.
- Finely chop a quarter of the cucumber and put into a small bowl. Cut the rest of the cucumber in 2cm chunks and divide between blender bowl and serving bowl.
- Finely chop a quarter of the capsicum and add to the small bowl, then cut the rest of the capsicum into 2cm chunks and divide between the blender bowl and serving bowl.
- Add the basil (except portion for garnish), garlic, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper to the blender. Blend on low and slowly increase to high speed until its completely smooth.
- Add the remaining large chunks in serving bowl to the blender and blend for 10 seconds or until the chunks are in smaller peices. Put into the fridge for at least 2 hours to chill.
- Add a pinch of salt to the small bowl, stir and keep in the fridge.
- Before serving, taste the soup and add more salt and pepper if required. Then divide into small bowls or cups and garnish with the vegetables in the small bowl as well as some fresh basil leaves and fresh black pepper.