Makes about 40 biscuits
- 4 egg whites, from medium sized eggs
- 2 2/5 cups (300g) icing sugar (or swap with stevia if you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 3/4 cup (125g) coarsely ground almonds
- 2 1/2 cups (250g) finely ground almond flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Extra icing sugar for glaze
- Lemon juice for glaze
- Whisk egg whites on high with hand mixer and slowly add sifted icing sugar. Whisk until mixture is stiff.
- Remove 3 tablespoons of the mixture to keep for the glaze. Then add vanilla sugar, half of almonds and cinnamon. Mix on low speed.
- Add the rest of almonds and then knead dough. Once kneaded wrap in gladwrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- Use some extra icing sugar to dust a board and rolling pin. Roll out dough to 1cm thick.
- Use a star-shaped cookie cutter to cut out the biscuits and arrange on a baking paper lined baking tray.
- Mix the 3 tablespoons of egg white mixture until its smooth. Then add a few drops of lemon juice.
- Cover biscuits with the glaze spreading it right out to each point on the star with a brush or spoon. Leave to dry for a few hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 140°C and bake for 25 minutes. Do not use a fanbake setting as it may brown the glaze.
- Move baking paper with biscuits to a tray for cooling.
A great Christmas treat to share with friends and family!