1 cup arborio or other short-grained white rice
2 cups water
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 capsicums, sliced (red & green for colour)
1 tomato, chopped
1 cup frozen peas
10-15 fresh green beans, halved
2 cups vegetable stock or broth
1 Tbsp capers
½ cup black olives, pitted
1 Tbsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp salt
1 lemon, cut into wedges
Flat leaf parsley for garnish
- Bring water to boil in a pot and once its boiling well, add the rice. Stir well, then cover and turn the heat off. Leave rice to stand for about 20 minutes.
- Heat olive oil over a medium heat in a large frying pan. Sautee the onion and garlic for about 4 minutes or until transparent.
- Stir in the capsicum, tomato and green beens and cook for another 3 minutes or so, while stirring occasionally.
- Drain the excess water from the rice and add it to the vegetables. Then add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and add the turmeric, smoked paprika and salt. Cover and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Add the frozen peas, capers and olives and cook for another minute or two. Then serve with a slice of lemon and parsley for garnish.