This is the third and last instalment in our three-part series on Fibromyalgia (FM) syndrome.
In the first article, we discussed the syndrome itself and its symptoms; in the second, we looked at its causes and treatments, and here we will lay out the ten commandments: the ten most important health considerations and recommendations for FM sufferers.
10 Key Health Considerations for Fibromyalgia Patients:
- Maintain regular and consistent sleep patterns. Consider any sleeping aids that may help in this matter: ear plugs, eye masks, herbal teas and remedies, etc.
- Get regular exercise without over exerting yourself. Refer to article two in this series for the forms of exercise best suited to FM sufferers.
- Assess your diet, or have it assessed by a nutritionist, to ensure that your are receiving the right nutrients in sufficient quantities.
- Assess your environment for toxins and chemicals that can be eliminated or replaced with alternatives. E.g. Avoid any exposure to stimulants like cigarettes, coffee, alcohol, and other substances. Use alternatives to chemical based cleaning agents at home and consider eating organic foods.
- Assess personal healthcare products and replace with natural products where possible.
- Try gentle body therapies until you find the one(s) that best suit you and practice them regularly.
- Learn some relaxation techniques that can help to alleviate your symptoms. E.g. meditation, visualisation and breathing techniques and make time to practice these techniques each day.
- Find something you’re passionate about and pursue it in a balanced fashion (perhaps a creative pursuit). The added benefit of this kind of creative or practical outlet is that it can improve sleep patterns and correct emotional imbalances.
- Consider seeing a therapist for any emotional issues for which you feel you may need assistance or guidance.
- Educate yourself about FM by reading books and research and sharing information with other sufferers.